Monday, May 31, 2010

How I Got the Way I Did - Part two

Part 2.

Pain is indeed a motivator. It’s not, however, the most reliable guide to life decisions. I wanted to find solutions for my own feet problems. What I actually got, however, was both less and more than I thought I would be getting.

I did eventually find a teacher, and found myself introduced to the science of biomechanics. I seemed to take to the concepts like a duck to water, and eventually found myself working for the California College of Podiatric Medicine, running their Mechanical Orthopedics Laboratory, where I learned to make foot orthosis, broadening my repertoire from footwear only. I began to audit all the classes offered in biomechanics, and eventually was asked to attend rounds in the college’s hospital and clinic. I became adept at gait analysis, and found my specialty in the area of limb-length discrepancy. After three years with the college, I launched my own orthotic lab, still making and modifying shoes, as well. I ran the lab for seven years, then sold to another lab, working for them for the next five. During that time, I founded a national laboratory association that still exists today. I also was asked by one of my biomechanics mentors to contribute several chapters to a new biomechanics text book.

I did go on to write two chapters – one on footwear modification, and the other on BK (below the knee) orthotic devices. The textbook is called Clinical Biomechanics of the Lower Extremity, Valmassy, Ed., Mosby, pub. During this same period, I had a unique opportunity to travel and lecture to a variety of medical schools in the US, Canada, and the UK.

It was also in this period I met the inventor of a new technology. Using computer-aided CAD-CAM milling technologies, a laser imager to image the foot, and a custom computer program, Alex Shang, the inventor, gave me another opportunity – to be the first to actually use the technology in real production settings. I went on to develop a training manual and training program that I later delivered to many other orthotic labs around the country.

Eventually, I became a little burned out. I had been working long days and long hours for many years, helping many people live better, less painful lives. During the period I ran my own lab, it was quite common for me to work 6 and sometimes 7 days a week, and often fifteen or more hours a day, especially in the first four years until I could afford to hire my first employee.

Finally, I decided it was time for a change. I went back to school to get a certificate in training, and through a number of stumbles, eventually ended up in the field of high tech. And after the bubble burst, I had to reinvent myself again.

After all that, one thing stood out for me personally. I had been very good helping make other people’s feet easier to walk on. I reduced pain, saved diabetic feet, cushioned arthritic feet, on and on. But the one thing I failed to accomplish, at least to the degree I had desired to, was to remove the pain from my own feet. This was because, I believe, club feet cannot be approached like other foot maladies. Their pathomechanic structure and function is not well addressed by regular biomechanical approaches. Eventually, I was forced to admit I would have some change, just not all the change I desired. It was at that point of understanding I eventually came to learn a very important lesson.

Post-club feet, regardless of the various solutions applied, just do not have the structural and functional ability to do what anyone else can do. They tire more easily. They often swell, and are often in pain. What this tells me is quite simple, but also quite disappointing. I have limits. And, the more I respect those limits, the less pain I experience. But this has been a very hard reality for me to adjust to, though now, in my late fifties, I can use the partial excuse that age is now a factor. Not completely satisfying, but it will have to do.

So, I hope this somewhat explains my perspective. But before ending this rant, I want to go back to the point I hinted at in the first section – in the first paragraph, actually. That is, being alienated from my own feet.

Club feet are, in my experience, a somewhat “hidden” malady. I would compare it, at least in my adult years, as akin to the experience suffered by those with epilepsy. Not with the actual disorder, mind you, but with the somewhat invisible quality it presents. People may not know you have it until it reveals itself during a seizure episode. Just as people may not know I have club feet, until I appear before them limping, or have to beg off an invitation to go on that ten mile hike they’d been wanting to do with me for some time. It is at those moments when I find I have to make a decision. Its not that I am ashamed about my condition, not at all.

It’s that I am tired of explaining it. These feet have taken far too much mind-share over the years. There are many times when I am lost in some activity, only to have all my attention rudely redirected back down toward the ground. And having to explain why that is, is exhausting. As a child and a youth, I was never able to NOT think about these tired, twisted doggies. And as an adult, I have spent most of my life focused on feet, other’s, certainly, but also my own.

So it is not all that surprising I am often puzzled, looking down, to see some things attached to my legs. Some things I have trouble owning. Until, that is, one day about five years ago. I was, as not unusually, awake around two or three AM, my wife asleep. I have been an insomniac, mostly due to my chronic pain, for years. But on this occasion, something happened I could have never anticipated.

I got up to make a cup of tea. Sitting in the kitchen, I looked down at my feet, and suddenly, like a bolt of lightening, I saw my feet in a completely new light. I saw them as a gift. Despite all I have experienced because of these feet, they put me in the way of many people I would otherwise never have met. They had led me to the opportunity to help others with their own obstructions. They had taught me about the true diversity of the human species. They had caused me to seek knowledge I would otherwise have completely ignored.

They have, in effect, taken me on a very interesting life journey, and that, more than anything, make them a gift I am only just learning to fully appreciate. Back in the podiatry college, there was a gross joke told about the purpose of feet. (Medical students are quite famous for their disgusting jokes.) It seems that the true purpose of human feet is to merely keep your ankles from fraying. And that was essentially how I viewed them for much of my life.

But the real purpose of feet, I know now, is to allow us to walk through our lives, and to put us in the way of others who will change us, support us, and whom we, in turn, can change and support. And the pain is merely the motivator.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing. I like your analogy as your feet as motivators... making you seek out knowledge that you would otherwise not have pursued. I, myself, am finding myself seeking advances degrees and other career fields for the same reason. If it were not for these feet I have I would simply be a cop until I retired. I doubt very much that I would go back to school, let alone for business or law if not for the very real fear of leaving my job with a disability.

    You had mentioned before that you had felt at home on the club foot yahoo group site. I am getting that same feeling. I don't know anyone else with club feet and I have found myself dealing with my issues on my own for my entire life. It is nice to have a group of people who I can talk to about this condition and to read about how they are making it despite these problems. It is especially nice to have a resource such as yourself who is willing to share your knowledge with us and who wants to continue your work of helping others with club foot related issues. Thanx again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Puckett,

    The work involved with having to think about our future comfort and capacities is something non-handicapped people don't worry about. But it does offer one advantage - it makes us better prepared for the unpredictability of the future. I liken it to preparation for disasters. I live in earthquake country, and am prepared to live without any outside assistance for as long as a month. I grew up, however, in tornado country, where any intelligent person wouldn't think of buying a house without a storm cellar or basement.

    So having a mind-set of anticipating future difficulties means I remain more adaptable to change. Hard to see that as a bad thing, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 17 years old and was born with not just club feet but without any ankles either, they're plastic. But thankfully after 32 operations I can walk perfectly (well I do have a limp too as my left leg is 5 centimetres bigger than my right). The pain can be difficult to deal with but I find water helps,going swimming, having a bath, or just sitting with your feet in a bucket of hot water can really help as it relieves the stress on the muscles. I also find wobble boards a huge help and trying to attempt to stand on your toes to stretch out the bottom of your foot. These are all natural methods I've used to help Me as I didn't want to be reliant on medication while going through the stress of exams and A levels. Just remember never give up but know your limits. I'm a keen thespian who loves being on stage but I know my limits at what my feet can take. Living with club feet can be hard but just remember you are strong and be proud to still have legs some poor people have to get rod of them, my doctors wanted to but I said no. Saying no was probably one of the bravest things I've done as now I have to grow up with the pain but I'd rather that than be confined to a wheelchair like my childhood. BE BRAVE AND BELIEVE IN YOURSELF BUT KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm 25 years old and was born with bilateral talopese. Had the usual ops and boots etc and for the last 10 years or so have had orthotics made for me. I suffer a lot with my right foot but find going to doctors disheartening as I feel they don't take me or my pain serious and was recently told to take regular pain mess and stretches as my condition was mild. This was regarding pain in right Achilles which they put down to a runners condition - even though I don't and haven't ever run because it cause too much pain. However I have a new pain arise. It is in the arch of my right foot and spread laterally. I can feel it there at all time but it is bearable unless I stand resting weight on it for a few minutes or more then it's excruciating to the point I nearly fall over. I've done a bit of google and it look like plantas facsitis (even the my heel isn't painful). Given that we suffer with pain away from the 'norm' I thought I would write on here and see if anyone else has this?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stumbled here as I'm googling things for my 19 yr old son dealin with pain from club feet ....He has to work a job tomorrow that requires standin and I know he will b in pain for days after ...What a horrible thing and no one takes its seriously. .I just found this moto sick to lean on ..To relieve pain from standin what a great idea ...Hav any of u tries the one with foam seat is best I here ... Frustrated Mon

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Truth About Talipes! Your comments are welcome, and strongly encouraged. We with post-club feet are the best sources of information about the issues we face. Join in! (If your comment fails to appear, make a second attempt - Blogger is known to have "issues" with Comment upload from time to time.) And right now, it seems it does not want to display comments on the main page, but it will show them for individual posts, so don't give up yet!!!