Saturday, July 10, 2010

Caveat Emptor, or, What Have I Done To My Head?

It seems I forgot my manners with that last post, by failing to disclose my connections with the sellers or manufacturers of products recommended. Yes, I am a principal owner of Amazon, and no, I can't tell you how much I'm worth. Mostly because I'd have to lie, and,  -  - what? Oh, yes, sorry. The above is a lie. Well, wishful thinking, actually. The only thing I own shares in is the right to pet and feed my dogs.



But I do want to make it clear - I used links to Amazon for those products because they show the broadest array of choices in one page than other sites do, and if I am about anything at all, I'm all about choices. Something we clubbies have too few of.

But, I regress. Lets do a few more push-ups, and then talk about pain again. So much fun.

The (nearly) Unthinkable

One of the primary features we clubbies have to contend with (features? What, are we new cars?) is muscle atrophy, not just of the calf muscle, but all the muscles in the lower leg. There is some evidence, though not well researched (what a surprise) that this atrophy may cause additional muscle deterioration later in life. I am starting to have symptoms (with an MRI to support it) of just such deterioration, currently in my right calf, but I strongly suspect in my left, as well. And, as I mentioned in the last post, this can lead to another type of cascade effect - muscle weakness, reduced activity, more weakness. What's needed, clearly, is a balanced approach.

As part of my current physical therapy (for the bum knee,) my very good PT, taking my post-club feet into the equation, has started me on some very tough exercises to strengthen my feet and ankles. These are done using those colored rubber/elastic bands, starting with the yellow one, and working my feet in all planes of motion. These are pretty tough, but I have already begun to feel a difference. Because the work is non-weight-bearing, it is just about the muscles and tendons, with very little pressure on the joint surfaces. So while difficult in the early stages, the work causes little pain (well, except for all those disused or poorly employed muscles getting woken up so rudely,) and therefor is less discouraging than weight-bearing exercise.

Now, I don't recommend you just go and start this on your own. Find a good physical therapist - they are worth their weight in gold (and believe me, I'm billing the US Treasury for their time - hey, that's where they keep the gold, right?) I learned the hard way there is a difference between understanding biomechanics, and having knowledge about exercise physiology. Our feet have a lot of small ligaments, tendons, and a fairly complex array of muscles, and if we can build up strength in them, even to a small degree, they can help work against the constantly deforming forces we all experience with our bad doggies. Put yourself in the hands of a good PT, but be sure to also educate them about your specific set of issues. They may not know initially how your post-club feet calls for changes in standard strengthening exercises. Hey, we all need to learn new things all the time, right?

So, again, what are your experiences with pain management, exercise, etc? We don't seem to be generating many comments, so maybe its my breath, who knows? But this is your place, clubbies, and as I keep saying, we have many of the answers we need right in our own heads, if we are willing to share what works for each of us.

Come on in - the water's fine!

2 comments:

  1. Hi. This is by way of a test comment.

    By the way, I hope the problem wit your muscles and your knee don't get too bad.

    Due to having a minor motorbike accident as a youngster, I have a slight difference in height between my two legs, so have to have shoes handmade with a small lift in the one. it stopped my limp, so it was worth the extra money!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing the Comments - please ignore

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Truth About Talipes! Your comments are welcome, and strongly encouraged. We with post-club feet are the best sources of information about the issues we face. Join in! (If your comment fails to appear, make a second attempt - Blogger is known to have "issues" with Comment upload from time to time.) And right now, it seems it does not want to display comments on the main page, but it will show them for individual posts, so don't give up yet!!!