Thursday, March 17, 2011

St. Patty Sent Me. No Wonder I'm Feelin' Green!

Around the gills, I presume, at least by tomorrow morning.

Well, those heel spurs I was talkin' about? Got 'em. Bad. Hurtin' puppies. Real bad. Seems my shoe balance got off just enough, so back to the shop, and up on the hoist I go. Well, my shoes, at least. Did I say my doggies was screamin'? No? Well, they most certainly are, Ollie. And did I mention...sorry.

But see, the real downside for me isn't merely the heel spurs. Its what else they visit upon me. Namely, a subluxed cuboid. Now, I realize that sounds like some kind of an exotic drink one might order in Belgrade, but that would not be the case. Your cuboid is called thus because of it's shape, which is, well, cuboid. You know, like a cube. And not unlike a cube, its surfaces are not very, uh, shapely. I mean, they are just plain, uh, plain. Flat, for the most part. And why, you ask, is that interesting at all? Because the surface of a bone where it meets another bone, i.e., where it is a part of a joint, is defined in many ways by how its shape interacts with the shape of the articular surface of the bone/s it forms joints with. Articular, because it moves, that is, articulates. If the shape of the articular surface is well defined, then the motion it makes within its joint is both controlled and limited by the shapes of both bone's surfaces.

The cuboid, however, is very smooth, compared to other bones in the body, and it articulates with the calcaneus, and with the base of the fifth metatarsal, and with the lateral cunieform bone, in the mid-tarsal area. But it is the articulation with the calcaneus that is most vulnerable to subluxation, which is just a big word for dislocation, which is exactly the same number of letters, but who's counting? Now, once this bone subluxes the first time, it can do so again with greater ease on subsequent occasions. Which mine, apparently, tend to do, and which they are doing right now. Hugely so.

Allow me to describe the feeling. Let's just say, if I could have a choice between this and a root canal, I'd take the root canal. Because at least you know when its going to be over. The only good thing I could say is, I wouldn't hesitate to wish this upon Quadaffi. Maybe Donald Trump. But that's all. OK, maybe that guy who does the duck for that insurance company.

But not you. Oh, my, no. No, no, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to The Truth About Talipes! Your comments are welcome, and strongly encouraged. We with post-club feet are the best sources of information about the issues we face. Join in! (If your comment fails to appear, make a second attempt - Blogger is known to have "issues" with Comment upload from time to time.) And right now, it seems it does not want to display comments on the main page, but it will show them for individual posts, so don't give up yet!!!