Tuesday, April 12, 2011

MRI's Don't Lie, Do They?

To begin, it is clearly no secret I've been dealing with these post-club-feet blues for a long time, so when I developed the heel spurs on top of everything else, it didn't really surprise me. And when the doc sent me for the MRI's, I thought I knew what to expect - a real mess. Well, that doesn't even begin to describe what they showed. In the report by the radiologist, I found it both amusing and upsetting to see a perfect example of how a medical professional can employ clinical language to say, basically, "those are the most fu**ed up feet I have ever seen, and I demand you keep them far away from me." Following is the Impressions section of the report, which is sort of like a synopsis:

1. SUBTALAR JOINT AND MIDFOOT DEGENERATIVE CHANGE WITH NAVICULAR CYCSTIC CHANGE/EDEMA AND FEATURES OF POSTERIOR IMPINGEMENT NOTED.
2. PLANTAR FASCIAL CALCANEAL SPUR WITH MODERATE THICKENING, PLANTAR FASCIA, AND WITH MINIMAL SURROUNDING SOFT TISSUE EDEMA.
3. DEGENERATIVE CHANGE, METATARSALPHALANGEAL JOINT, WITH VARUS ANGULATION OF METATARSALPHALANGEAL JOINT, FIRST DIGIT..

He also notes the appearance of an Achilles tendon tear, but feels it is less-than-remarkable in  light of all the other scary stuff.

(I suppose I should feel a bit insulted being characterized as a degenerate, but that's exactly what my seventh grade teacher said about me, too, so what the heck.)

So, I have two choices vis-a-vis the heel spurs/plantar fasciitis - keep going with the prolotherapy, or try a cortisone shot to settle it down, and maybe later have to do it again, or worse, surgery. I think I'll stick with the prolo (though my wife is beginning to think I may be a closet masochist, given the degree of pain the procedure causes one to endure. But I just keep telling her it builds character. ((of course, she simply reminds me I'm enough of a character already, so please don't do her any favors)))

But all this has made me curious (well, actually, I think it was heat stroke at eight years old that did that, but I digress.) Have you had heel spurs/plantar fasciitis? How did you deal with it? Let us all know. After all, we're mostly in the same sort of boat, ya think?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to The Truth About Talipes! Your comments are welcome, and strongly encouraged. We with post-club feet are the best sources of information about the issues we face. Join in! (If your comment fails to appear, make a second attempt - Blogger is known to have "issues" with Comment upload from time to time.) And right now, it seems it does not want to display comments on the main page, but it will show them for individual posts, so don't give up yet!!!