Monday, September 13, 2010

Strange Goings-On Out On the Back 40

So it has finally happened. My shoemaker, Salvadore, has been forced into retirement due to poor health. He's had to lay down his hammer at the mere age of 80. Now, you might think I am being a little sarcastic here, and truly, I wish I could be, but this is actually Sal's attitude about the whole retirement deal - he wants nothing to do with it! This has always been my experience with the older generation of shoe makers - they usually drop dead at their "last." Its not because they wouldn't appreciate some well-deserved rest, no, not that at all. Its due more to two things - they never made so much money they could put much aside, and they are extremely dedicated to the happiness of their clients. You don't really see that sort of dedication to one's craft anymore. I don't really know if that's a good or a bad thing, though I tend to think its more bad than good. And that's not just because I am selfish about losing my particular shoemaker, though I am, of course.

Its also because, and really, folks, I never thought I'd reach the point in my own life where I'd say something like this, but here I go - its because those are the kinds of people who were my teachers, my mentors, and I think despite the reluctance of the modern world to have to actually get its hands dirty, there remains a noble and affirmative need for people with skill, craft, integrity to the product of their own effort. There is precious little remaining in our cultures that fits that definition. If I sound here like a fuddy-duddy, I will not apologize for it - I am only now old enough to understand the value we are losing, not in a trickle, but in a flood.

And for all the hateful talk about immigrants going around these days, I am proud to admit that each and every one of my teachers were themselves immigrants, who learned their craft in places like Italy, the Philippines, Guatemala, and Russia. They came here to build a better life for their families, they worked harder than anyone I have ever known in my life, and sadly, not a single one of each of these great craftsmen's children followed in their father's footsteps. Because there are easier, more lucrative trades and professions. Because their peers were headed in other directions. But, and this is where I think the difference is greatest between that generation and the last several generations, it was never just about money. It was about doing good by your fellow people, about creating something that would make a lasting difference in the lives around you. Nowadays, these just seem quaint, or naive ideas. Besides, they do that in China, right? Or Mexico? So we can all be wealthy entrepreneurs, or something, I suppose.

Anyway, I plan on buying Sal a case of his favorite drink, no matter what it is he likes, because he has done more than anyone I know to keep me upright and still able to walk. Even if it is with pain, its with far less than it would otherwise be. And its important, in my book, to thank a man like that.

Of course, I still have to find another shoemaker. But that's for another day. Right now, I'm hot on the trail of a special Philippino whiskey. I'm pretty sure he'll be willing to share.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a comment.

    Please check your "third party cookies" setting, and ensure that third party cookies are enabled. Then, check for any cookie or script filter in your browser, in your computer, or on your network.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Truth About Talipes! Your comments are welcome, and strongly encouraged. We with post-club feet are the best sources of information about the issues we face. Join in! (If your comment fails to appear, make a second attempt - Blogger is known to have "issues" with Comment upload from time to time.) And right now, it seems it does not want to display comments on the main page, but it will show them for individual posts, so don't give up yet!!!