Thursday, May 19, 2011

Limpy Gimp - At Least I'm Not a Governator

Let's face it - muscles will get you further than a limp in this world. They will make you more money, get you more attention, even (apparently) get you more sex. So, workout, Dude! But there is apparently a downside - these days, nearly everyone will think you cheated. Steroids, philandering, pay-for-play, whatever spin you want to give it, its still cheating. At least I came by my limp honestly (not like I had any choice, mind you.)

But, I hear you say, those of us who are not rich and famous cannot possibly know the troubles they've seen, oh, the hard-pressed rich folk! Yeeeaaah -no. I don't think so. There are many examples of wealthy and powerful people who don't resort to cheating, but the press finds no value in such boring fare. They only salivate to the freaks and crazies - makes better money for them, you see. But gimps? Sure, they gave Roosevelt a pass, maybe because of that cigar, who knows. And Stephen Hawking (my hero, I'll admit,) well, he only gets press because he's too freakin' smart, and that high, squeaky machine voice doesn't hurt his screen presence, either. (Besides, he may be our only hope against the black hole headed this way. Oh, sorry, you missed that story? Well, too late for that now. Have a nice day, won't you?)

Being a crip does have it's upsides: I ain't never getting drafted, not even for the NBA. And the only famous person I have to model my own desire for fame on is Dudley Moore, and honestly? I cannot drink that much. My bladder would probably fail before I got fully loaded, so what's the point? Then there are all those other examples of fame and fortune who simply by fate were "Born This Way." No, not her, though I tend to think she's still in the closet about her gimp-dom. No, I'm talking about what's his name, and who-she. Right there on the tip of my tongue. Oh, well, more part-timerz, I guess. It will come to me when neither of us expect it.

Anyway, the point is, I'd rather emulate my shoemaker, who has spent his entire life using his time and talent to help other people live a little better life. Much as I'd like the money, I'd much rather, at the end of my life, be able to say I did good. You can't take the money with you, but you can leave a better legacy through honest effort than by basing your life on getting yours, and screw everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to The Truth About Talipes! Your comments are welcome, and strongly encouraged. We with post-club feet are the best sources of information about the issues we face. Join in! (If your comment fails to appear, make a second attempt - Blogger is known to have "issues" with Comment upload from time to time.) And right now, it seems it does not want to display comments on the main page, but it will show them for individual posts, so don't give up yet!!!