Sunday, June 27, 2010

Feet in Motion: 36 Years of Footloose Joy

Last night, we went with several friends to our 20th time at the 36th Anniversary of the San Francisco Ethnic Dance Festival, the largest and longest ethnic dance festival in the country. And, as has been the case for the previous 19 times we've gone, this was the most thrilling and happiness-causing evening ever. Before I wax superlative, go take a virtual look for yourself at the incredible breadth of talent this festival produces, at World Arts West. The last weekend is the one we attended this year, specifically because of the troupe who had a specially commisioned performance:


WORLD PREMIERE
This piece is a celebration of the beautiful culture of Afghanistan showing the positive face of its rich heritage through dance and live music.



 And here is their Facebook page.




After all the horrible news over the past twenty years coming out of that ravaged nation, this astonishing performance give more than hope for the people of Afghanistan, it show all the joy and potential currently hidden away among those beleaguered people. The color, the music, and the incredible motion and beauty displayed at this performance literally took my breath away. I don't think I have ever had a dance performance cause me uncontrollable smiling ! If you ever get the chance to come to San Francisco in June, make sure you get tickets to at least one of the amazing shows at this festival.

Now, Why Would a Clubby Enjoy Dance So Much? 

Hmm, good question. OK, I'll take dance for $500, Alex! Back in the day (when I was young, and more impervious to pain) it was the 60's, 70's, and 80-ishes, I was a dancin' fool, as we used to say. Yes, I would pay for it, sometimes for days afterward, but when I was out there boppin' and rockin' and even a little pogo-ing, I felt free as a bird, and temporarily disconnected from the pain. I used to arrive at the start and not quit till the last song. Then I'd hobble home, like I do most days, now. So, if I can't do anymore floor sailing, then baby, I ain't gonna stop butt-rockin'! And as much as it reminds me of what I can no longer do, I can still enjoy the motion vicariously.


And while I was watching these amazing Afghani women dance with such joy, I had this thought pop into my head - look at all the energy some people use to bring beauty into the world.

Just amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to The Truth About Talipes! Your comments are welcome, and strongly encouraged. We with post-club feet are the best sources of information about the issues we face. Join in! (If your comment fails to appear, make a second attempt - Blogger is known to have "issues" with Comment upload from time to time.) And right now, it seems it does not want to display comments on the main page, but it will show them for individual posts, so don't give up yet!!!