Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Those Pesky Calf Muscles!

We all know about those skinny calf muscles we possess along with our post-club feet - its just part of the deal. But there is some suggestion that it is not just the calf muscles that are atrophied. Remember - the muscles are attached to the bones via tendons, supported along shorter links via ligaments, and the whole mess is fed and enervated by blood vessels and nerves. This amalgamation of soft tissues, all designed to work together to provide their part in ambulation, cannot be separated into singular component parts. They must be regarded and treated as a system, and what affects one of the larger elements in that system must to some degree affect all the other elements of the system. If the muscles are atrophied, it stands to reason so are some of the other soft tissue components within the system of the foot and calf of the leg.

For as long as I can recall, I have had a phenomenon that occurs 2-3 times a year, since childhood. It has stumped every doctor I've tried to explain it to, and I think I have finally come to understand why it is so confusing - it just does not fit the standard formulary of medical anomalies. If I describe it as cramping, they seek to treat it as cramping. But that is not what it is, nor do I describe it in that manner. If I use other descriptors, they demand I narrow the description. The trouble is, I cannot do so. I just don't have any parallels to compare it to.

Here is why: it feels like a cross between cramps, "going to sleep", a heavy "boggy" sensation (like the blood has stopped flowing through the leg,) and both achy as well as sharp pain. You see how most clinicians would be stumped - it bears no resemblance to anything else I have experienced, and I can only describe it in terms of things I have experienced. And now that I have been cleared of any suspicions of claudication, I am more stumped than ever. My current situation differs both in the degree of pain, and how long these symptoms are lasting. The chronic syndrome described above usually lasts no more than 24-36 hours, then disappears for months. This time, it simply isn't going away.

The current thinking, or I should say, theory, is that I have a nerve entrapment, likely the popliteal nerve. This does make some sense (more tests pending, but then, you guessed that, didn't you,) as the sharpest pain is in the lateral-posterior knee, whereas the deeper, achy pain occurs lower down the leg, and is more intermittent. But there are a rather large number of nerves bundled in an area known as the popliteal fossa, in that soft area behind the knee, so there is as much possibility the affected nerve is any one of those. But the popliteal nerve, which is a lower branch of the sciatic nerve, enervates the lateral-posterior calf, down to the area around the lateral malleolus, and then out to the fifth toe and along the lateral border of the foot. So this tends to be more accurate as far as my own situation is currently. The (pending) nerve conduction study should narrow it down considerably. (If you have never had a nerve conduction study, let me tell you - its pretty special! Imagine having electricity shot into your nerves via electrically-charged needles inserted into those very nerves. Ah, good times! Good times.)

So, I will keep you all updated on this. But I would also appreciate hearing more from all of you out there. Have you ever experienced anything like what I have described above - sore "heavy" feelings in the lower leg, especially in the calf area? If you have, please share your stories here. Consider it a contribution to our own on-going study of clubby lore, OK?

6 comments:

  1. Hi! Clementia here. I've been looking at the first couple of your posts on the front page here. I am very emotional about it. Well, kinda emotional. At least I have to get up and walk away cause it's just very strange to me to see somebody writing something in detail or not, or saying things that I might say about my foot. Tho I don't say anything to anybody. I don't even like to say the word foot. This is very wonderful for me - your blog that is - so far anyway, because I've never heard anything about anything let alone so many words about it. I'm not crazy. Well I might be. C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clementina,
    I know exactly what you mean. I all the years I worked in the field of biomechanics, I met exactly three people with club feet, one who had never had anything done for his feet, so it was the first time I saw an adult with un-corrected (or un-mangled?) club feet. And whenever I tried to find doctors who had previous experience with post-club feet, I was always severely disappointed - first because they had never actually dealt with post-club feet, and second because they insisted they knew what I needed to have "done."

    I started, and continue, this blog for exactly finding people such as yourself (and I must confess I am trying to write this response through some very heavy tears. None of us should have to have the feelings you describe. But the fact is, too many people do have such experiences, and that is what I am trying to impact here.) I need responses such as yours to help me understand if I am on the right track or not. Please explore more of the past posts - I hope you can find other things that can be of use to you.

    It's funny - I was just beginning to work on another post, this time dealing with the emotional toll clubbies often face, and far too often, they face it alone. Please, Clementia, know you are indeed not alone. And feel free to tel some or a lot of your story, over on the My Story, Your Story page. And read stories others have written there. It really helps me feel less alone. I hope it does that for you, too.

    Notumbo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am having this problem now and I don't know how to explain it but you have done a really good job of explaining the pain. My left foot is a club foot and I fear over the years (I am 33 now) it will get worse and worse. I almost feel like my lower leg down to the foot, is dangling like it wants to drop off... its a weird pain. I am going to ask for scans this week at the doctors.. hopefully someone can help me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There has to be a way to work the atrophied muscles back to normal looking density. I have been in misery and shame about my thin legs since I can remember. I know implants are an option, but there has to be something else. Implants in my case won't help the lower ankle and most likely won't make that much of a difference in my calf thickness because my skin is so tight. The implant simply won't be big enough to make a decent difference. I've suffered emotionally so much over having these deformed legs and feet. It's like torture. I can never go to the beach with friends or a girlfriend, nor can I wear shorts in front of anyone. I hate this curse. I feel like I'm in a nightmare and can't wake up. I always fantasize about how great it would be to wake up one day and this deformity is just a really bad dream. What can I do to fully fix my legs at least?? I just want to be able to wear shorts and feel normal for once in my life! Go to the beach and walk on the sand in shorts! I'm so heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I am right there with you. Precisely, right there with you. I surf the web maybe once a month trying to find someone that can share my pain, and know that I am in the same boat. I'm driven mad by my legs, Im constantly locked in my room trying to find the right clothes to make me look normal. I keep thinking about plastic surgery as well. I have not had a consultation yet, I think partially out of fear that they will tell me it is not an option. Keep your head up, know that nobody cares as much as you do, try to focus on all the times you;ve forgotten about your legs. Surely there are some of those good times. Live for those. Power to you, you're not alone.

      Delete
  5. I've lived with a corrected club foot for 44 years. My leg is skinny and my foot is slightly twisted. I've always battled with myself about wearing shorts etc....but I dont let it beat me. I wear shorts, go swimming go out in lycra with my cycling colleagues and initially I get the odd look but we I just get on with it......live your life :)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to The Truth About Talipes! Your comments are welcome, and strongly encouraged. We with post-club feet are the best sources of information about the issues we face. Join in! (If your comment fails to appear, make a second attempt - Blogger is known to have "issues" with Comment upload from time to time.) And right now, it seems it does not want to display comments on the main page, but it will show them for individual posts, so don't give up yet!!!